“What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.” – Henry David Thoreau
Hello to all our Real Resulters out there. It is July 2013 and half way through the year. Are you on target to accomplish your health and fitness goals for this year?
Many times people set goals at the beginning of the new year in hopes that they can accomplish them throughout the rest of the year. But they never really lay out a set plan on how to achieve these goals, so by the time July comes around many of these goals have been overlooked or placed on the back burner. If we are to truly achieve success we have to take a look at how we set these goals.
Edwin Locke, a famous goal-setting researcher wanted to know what made certain people perform better on tasks than others? By looking at what people were consciously trying to achieve while performing these tasks he was able to conclude the following:
- The more difficult the goal, the greater the achievement.
- The more specific or explicit the goal, the more precisely performance is regulated
- Goals that are both specific and difficult lead to the highest performance
- Commitment to goals is most critical when goals are specific and difficult. Goal commitment is the degree to which you are genuinely attached to and determined to reach the goals.
- High commitment to goals is attained when (a) the individual is convinced that the goal is important; and (b) the individual is convinced that the goal is attainable (or that, at least, progress can be made toward it).
- Goal setting is most effective when there is feedback showing progress in relation to the goal.
Developing an attitude of gratitude, and giving thanks for everything that happens to you, and knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation will help you reach the goals you set.
By following some of the above advice from the experts we can help ourselves reach successful outcomes. Just remember that when setting goals try to make sure they are attainable, realistic and timely.
At Real Results Fitness we can help you with your health and fitness goals. Come in for a FREE consultation with one of our experts to help you get on the road to success.
REFERENCES: Click Here