- 1 small red onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Sliver one-quarter of the onion and set aside.
- Chop the rst of the onion.
- Mix it in a bowl with the vinegar, capers, oregano, and garlic.
- Combine 1/4 of this mixture with the slivered onions and set aside.
- Sprinkle both sides of the steak with the salt and pepper; prick well with a fork.
- In a large zip-top food storage bag, combine the steak with the remaining onion mixture.
- Marinate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat the grill or the broiler, positioning the oven broiler rack so that the meat on the rack in the pan is 4″ from the heat source.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, and place on the grill over direct heat or on an over rack set in the broiler pan.
- Discard the marinade.
- Grill or broil for 4-5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Place the meat on a platter and pour the reserved onion mixture over the steak.
NUTRITION AT A GLANCE
Per serving: 176 calories, 19 g protein, 3 g carbohydrates, 9 g fat, 4 g saturated fats, 230 mg sodium, 50 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber