The Bearded Chef’s Memorial Day BBQ Recipe
The American BBQ goes hand in hand with Memorial Day. We hangout with family and friends in a backyard, park or pool side. We have some burgers and dogs while throwing back a few beers. But just because it’s a holiday does not mean you have to eat unhealthy food. When you’re on your way to a Memorial Day BBQ throw this salad together and be the hit of the party. – Coach Bryan Nelson
Grilled Kale Salad with Ricotta and Plums
(pictured: optional strawberries and no ricotta)
4 TO 6 SERVINGS:
- 4 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Sea Salt salt, freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium plums, halved, pitted, thinly sliced ***
- 12 large or 16 small curly kale leaves
- 3/4 cup fresh ricotta (optional)
- Whisk 3 Tbsp. oil, vinegar, thyme, and honey in a medium bowl. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper. Add plums and toss to coat; transfer plums to a plate.
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to high.
- Brush kale leaves with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Grill kale, turning once, until crispy and charred at edges, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a work surface; let stand until cool enough to handle. Remove large center stems with a knife and discard (just trim the tough ends from smaller, more tender kale stems).
- Stir vinaigrette again.
- Tear larger kale leaves into pieces (leave smaller leaves whole).
- Place leaves in a large bowl and toss with some of the vinaigrette.
- Serve on a large serving platter. Spread leaves on platter, dollop ricotta on the kale and then top with plums and drizzle some vinaigrette over.
*** Fresh Strawberries can be used as an option for plums if they are not in season