- 1 or 2 small cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar (optional)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce, outer leaves removed, washed, dried, torn into bite-size
- pieces, and chilled
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, outer leaves removed, washed, dried, torn into
- bite-sized pieces, and chilled
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 sweet white onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling on top
- Green bell pepper, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
To make the dressing:
- In a large salad bowl mash the garlic, salt, and pepper to a paste.
- Add the mayonnaise, continuing to mash until smooth.
- Then mix in the lemon juice and the vinegar, if using.
- Gradually whisk in the olive oil.
- Add the romaine and iceberg lettuce, parsley, onion, and the 1/2 cup of Parmesan.
- Toss gently.
- Pile the mixture into shallow salad bowls, sprinkle with a little Parmesan, and serve.
- Garnish with bell pepper, if using.
At Joe’s, the Armand salad is served at lunch only, and garlic croutons top the dish. In order to keep this within Phase I, we have omitted the croutons. If you’re visiting the famous Joe’s, you can ask that the croutons be left off. The stone crabs are great on any phase!
- From the Menu of Joe’s Stone Crab
- 11 Washington Avenue, Miami Beach
- EXECUTIVE CHEF: Andre Bienvenue
NUTRITION AT A GLANCE
Per serving: 176 calories, 4 g protein, 4 g carbohydrates, 16 g fat, 3 g saturated fats, 238 mg sodium, 6 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber