An alkaline diet detox is a special type of detox that not only rids your body of waste but also helps balance your body’s pH. Your body’s pH is the balance of alkaline and acid in your body. When you pH level is not correct, you can have health problems and experience many of the symptoms associated with common ailments and diseases. When you go through a normal detox you can throw off the pH balance in your body, so you may be reducing toxins in the body, but potentially causing other problems in the process.
Perhaps you’ve heard people talk about how bad they fell when they are doing a cleanse or fast, that’s because the cells and tissues are throwing off toxin, that are basically acidic in nature, and the elimination systems of the body can’t keep up. Every food you eat produces either an acid or alkaline residue after it is digested. The main staples of the typical diet are acid producing. Foods such as fish, meat, poultry, cheese, milk, gains, and nuts all produce acid. Foods like fresh fruit, vegetables, particularly leafy greens are alkaline producing.
Basic steps you can take to becoming more alkaline:
- First thing in the morning and last thing in the night… Drink a glass of water with 1/4tsp of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) in it. Go easy, starting with once a day, since it could upset your stomach. Once used to it, try it twice a day.
- Drink water spiked with lime or lemon juice (no sugar) as often as you can. Once you start drinking lemon water, it will become a second nature.
- There is also alkaline water which has a pH of 9.5 which will make your body very alkaline.
- Drink at least 3-4 glasses of fresh juice per day (no sugar). This will drastically alkalize your body. Fruit and veggie juices should be made using a juicer or a high powered blender. It has to be non-pasteurized juice, which is not generally sold in stores. Good alkaline juices are cucumber, celery, tomatoes, citrus etc. If you’re diabetic, you’re better off with veggie juices.
- Avoid soda, coffee, chocolate and too much meat (these create acid) at least for some time. Tea is okay. Green tea or Oolong tea will boost metabolism.
- Take spirulina supplement or any other green food supplement – Wheat Grass, Liquid Chlorophyll or anything similar. Aloe Vera juice is great if available. These speed up the pH becoming alkaline.
- Apart from the list provided, just eat a healthy diet with an emphasis on veggies and fruit. Try to avoid foods that are very high acidic.
- It will take a week or two for your body to switch to the alkaline mode.
Shane Stuart, member of Real Results & cofounder of Grass Roots, is bringing superfood-based juices, smoothies and foods to downtown Las Vegas such as the amazing alkalizing organic juice Holy Alkaline.
Avocado – 1/4 slice
Ginger – Thumbnail
Cucumber – 1 inch slice
Coconut water or Alkaline water – 1 cup
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Kale – 1/2 cup
Liquid Stevia – 2 drops
Spinach – 1 cup
Celery – 1 stalk
For more information on living a healthy lifestyle and weight loss, contact a Real Results coach today!